Boot mounted bike rack

All Volkswagen ID.Buzz related discussions
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Hi

I need a bike rack for the Buzz, I have no tow hook & I won't be putting the bike on the roof.

I noticed the top part of the boot lid is plastic, this may just be a single skin plastic over a metal subframe, but I really don't know.

Does anyone know if the boot is strong enough to mount a bike carrier for a single bike, maybe 2 bikes at a push?

mogoforest

Post by mogoforest »

I was under the impression that the whole boot lid structure is made of some kind of sophisticated reinforced plastic.
Apparently the largest of its kind.
I don't know if I'd be happy hanging bikes off the back of it.
Andy1832

Post by Andy1832 »

Buzz wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:16 am
Hi

I need a bike rack for the Buzz, I have no tow hook & I won't be putting the bike on the roof.

I noticed the top part of the boot lid is plastic, this may just be a single skin plastic over a metal subframe, but I really don't know.

Does anyone know if the boot is strong enough to mount a bike carrier for a single bike, maybe 2 bikes at a push?
Sadly you are limited to either roof mounted rack or tow ball. The handbook specifically warns against using the boot lid which as has been said is made of plastic. Not surprisingly VW only recommend use of their own genuine accessories.
Lime yellow Buzz Style 21" Bromberg's Open & Close Package Plus, Comfort Package Plus, Infotainment Package Plus, Assistance Package Basic, Styling Seat Package ArtVelours
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Oops, since asking, I've bought a universal holder. To be honest, it's been fine for a couple hundred miles so far with 1 bike!